With a little bit of kick, and full of citrusy tang, this recipe is a nourishing, hearty, and healthy meal. It melds so well with our Red Cabbage & Red Beet Sauerkraut, it might be your new to-go side. Really delicious with some sautéed shrimp or tofu marinated in sumac, orange juice, and honey for a complete meal. Or, a roast pork chop.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced/julienned
1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and medium diced—about ½ inch pieces
Sea salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp honey + 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp sumac powder
Juice and zest of 1 small, fresh orange, divided
1 cup wildbrine Red Cabbage & Red Beet Sauerkraut
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, seasoning with salt and pepper. Approximately 2-4 minutes.
2. Add the diced sweet potato, honey, chili flakes, sumac, and half the orange juice. Season generously with additional salt. Reduce heat to low, stir to coat in oil and spices, cover, and cook (stirring occasionally) until soft. About 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, toss together the sauerkraut and remaining half of orange juice and half the zest.
4. Once sweet potatoes are cooked through, remove lid and simmer any remaining liquid until it is absorbed or reduced. Remove from heat, toss with remaining ½ of orange zest, and taste to see if it needs more salt. Season to taste.
5. Serve the sweet potato mixture topped with the citrusy Wildbrine Red Cabbage & Red Beet Sauerkraut mix.
6. Top with additional zest and orange slices if desired.