15 Creative Uses for Kimchi
As the national dish of Korea, kimchi is an incredibly versatile condiment for anyone who likes a little spice in their life. First made by Korean farmers over 2,000 years ago, kimchi was originally a simple combination of fermented radishes and salt. Over the centuries, however, the recipe evolved according to region and season. Today, it often features a combination of Chinese Napa cabbage, daikon radish, ginger, garlic, and the crimson-hued chili spice, gochugaru. Fortunately, it still contains the beneficial probiotics of its predecessors. Some recipes include jeotgal (a type of salted seafood,) but at wildbrine, we leave that out to ensure our kimchi is both vegan and vegetarian-friendly.
So once you get your hands on this delightful side dish, how do you use it? Fortunately for you, there are many wonderful uses for kimchi. Just be sure to keep its temperature below 102-105 degrees F. in order to preserve the powerhouse of beneficial bacteria.
Here are some ideas to get your probiotic juices flowing!
15 Delicious and Inventive Uses for Kimchi
- Sausages: Looking for a spicy alternative to sauerkraut at your next barbeque picnic? Adorn your hot dog or sausage with kimchi for a kick.
- Avocado toast: Wake up your tastebuds by topping tomorrow morning’s avocado toast with a spicy condiment.
- Deviled eggs: Add some zip to your deviled eggs by adding kimchi to mix in this delicious recipe.
- Burrito: For a different kind of spice, replace the salsa in your next burrito (or burrito bowl) with a smattering of kimchi. (Hint: This idea works for breakfast burritos, too.)
- Sushi: Enliven simple sushi rolls like avocado or cucumber with a delightful dollop, which can be rolled inside or used as an accompaniment instead of wasabi.
- Burgers: For a spicy twist, top your favorite burger with melted Swiss cheese and kimchi.
- Quick dinner fix: In a hurry? Combine steamed brown rice, marinated tofu, and some fermented goodness in your favorite bowl. Go!
- Grilled cheese: There is no denying that grilled cheese is the perfect food. Elevate this griddled superstar with the addition of some spicy flavor.
- Sandwich or wrap: Bring zing to the lunch table by adding kimchi to a sandwich or wrap, which will add a new dimension.
- Fried rice: Our tangy fried rice recipe features our Japanese-inspired kimchi, which highlights horseradish, red miso, and bright citrus.
- Kimchi aioli: Whisk together two tablespoons of drained and finely chopped kimchi with 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons kimchi juice (from the container), and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Serve as a dipping sauce for french fries or vegetables, or add a spoonful to your next burger. Yum!
- Soup: Slurp your way to heaven by garnishing your next bowl of won ton soup or ramen.
- Pulled pork sandwich: Add extra heat to a pulled pork sandwich by substituting for traditional coleslaw.
- Quesadilla: Place shredded jack cheese and some kimchi between two flour tortillas, then heat gently in a skillet until the cheese melts.
- Eggs and kimchi are a match made in heaven! Add a tablespoon to your next omelet, frittata, or Sunday scramble. Bacon optional, but highly recommended.