Don’t be afraid of searing tuna – it’s quick, easy, and delicious. This healthy, green salad with ahi comes together quickly and easily and is fresh, bright, and filling. Given the year-round availability of brussels sprouts, this dinner recipe would be welcome any time of the year. We made it with our Red Beet and Cabbage Kraut but it would be just as yummy with our Organic Red Kraut.
1 ½ lbs. Ahi Tuna (cut into six, 4-oz. steaks or cylinders)
1 t. olive oil
2 Tbsp. Meyer Lemon juice
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. Meyer Lemon zest
6 Tbsp. mild olive oil
1 c. wildbrine Red Kraut, drained
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and julienned (leave the seeds for a spicier salad)
1 Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks and lightly tossed with lemon juice
1 Braeburn or Honeycrisp apple, cut into matchsticks and lightly tossed with lemon juice
1 lb. or 1 qt. brussels sprouts, shaved as thin as you can, discarding the stem
½ c. sunflower seeds, roasted and salted
Salt and pepper
Season tuna steaks with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Rub to coat evenly with spices on both sides. Let marinate at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
Prep time 30 minutes | Cook time 15 minutes
1. Place the Meyer lemon juice, mustard, zest, and a pinch of salt into a jar with a lid. Put the lid on and shake vigorously to combine. Finish by adding the oil and shaking again to mix well.
2. Place the drained kraut, jalapeno, apples, and brussels sprouts into a large salad bowl. Lightly salt and toss gently to start to wilt the Brussels. Set aside.
3. Set a wide cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. IMPORTANT – Be sure pan is very hot, then lay pre-seasoned tuna steaks in pan and sear for 30 seconds to one minute per side until nicely and evenly browned all around on the outside. You want the inside to remain pink for a rare to medium-rare cook. Remove from pan and rest.
4. Shake the vinaigrette again to blend and dress the brussels/kraut salad with desired amount. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add sunflower seeds.
5. Cut rested tuna into desired slices. Arrange the salad in your favorite bowl. Top with tuna steak and drizzle with a little more vinaigrette.